4 Hour Courses (4 Contact Hours provided)
These medium length presentations may allow for didactic, instructor demonstration and return demonstrations of selected skills. Class size is limited in the classes that allow for return demonstration. In order for nurses to be familiar with the specific items used by their facilities, it is strongly recommended that the facility obtain necessary items from their pharmacy. A list of necessary supplies will be provided when presentations are scheduled.
*Licensed Nurse must have basic IV education prior to taking course.
RETURN DEMONSTRATION DOES NOT INDICATE COMPETENCY OF SKILL.
Peripheral IV Insertion Class
This 4 hour comprehensive class will provide both didactic and return demonstration including:
- Initiation and indication of therapy
- Patient assessment pre and post insertion
- Patient preparation
- Site and catheter selection
- Catheter placement
IV Therapy Review Class
*This class is fast-paced and for review only.
- Review procedures for use, care and maintenance of peripheral and central venous access devices
- Discussion of potential complications and interventions
- Infection prevention and documentation
- Instructor demonstration of:
- CVAD dressing/securement devices changes
- Needleless connector changes
- Proper flushing techniques
Advanced IV Therapy Skills Class
Class has both a didactic and hands-on component. Skills covered include: Venous port access/de-accessing, PIV insertion, PICC/midline removal, catheter line blood collection, and clearing occluded catheters.
*Pending on number of participants for return demonstration — class time varies from 4 – 6 hours to complete.
*Recent attendance at a Comprehensive Class is mandatory as this class builds on the basic class.
Course recommended for RNs. LPNs are welcome; however, it is the individual nurse’s responsibility to understand the scope of practice in the state they are practicing in.